Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ahh, Valentine's Day...

...when we all stop to remember the Saint who was martyred for his faith on this day so long ago.

Who am I kidding? Do we even know the real story of St. Valentine? Valentine's Day is a cute party time for kids, but I think it puts way too much pressure on couples to do it up right.

Jamie and I have never really celebrated the day, in fact right now he is up in New Hampshire with Alexander and Zachary hanging out at the cottage and playing some ice hockey on the pond. We try to make sure the teens get individual time, so this is their weekend away with Dad. I suppose it does make a difference that our anniversary is in 8 days...and I do expect dinner out then! Who else but a history teacher would get married on George Washington's birthday??

He did however make me a CD of love songs, his top 20 favorites. You know the ones--- "Ticks" and "I'm Still a Guy" by Brad Paisley, those great love songs. (He knows I don't do sappy.)Actually, I think "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw is the most romantic love song out there. The CD is great, and the perfect gift.

More importantly for our family, today is Chinese New Year's Day! Our baby boy is going to be born in the Year of the Tiger.
Since Jamie and the big boys are gone, I didn't really do much for it, although I am currently making steamed buns with barbecue filling-- really yummy. And I got out our Lion Dance costume for Amelia, Sunny, and Micah to play with. I would have loved to take the kids into Boston where the Children's Museum usually has an event for this day, but it wasn't in the budget this year.

Here's a photo of Sunny with the Lion head on...

No comments: