Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Not the best birthday

Today ends "Birthday Week-ish" in our house. Last Sunday the 3rd was Sunny's 9th birthday, Wednesday the 6th was Amelia's 7th Gotcha Day Anniversary, Friday the 8th was my ** birthday, Saturday the 9th was "Leif Ericson Day" (Baby Leif's namesake), and today is the birthday of my brother Jim, and of Dante.

Dante did not appreciate being dragged out of bed at 6am on his birthday. At 7am Zachary, Amelia, Dante, Leif and I left for our 1 hour and 13 minute drive to Dante's appointment in Watertown. At 9:15 we arrived there. Oh how I love the drive in the morning traffic towards Boston.

This morning was Dante's second evaluation at the Low Vision Clinic at Perkin's School for the Blind. Dante was pretty good, for a little while. He really does not like the eyedrops, and after awhile began to show some resistance to the exam. Thankfully I had my second son along (I am not supposed to mention Zachary's name on the blog), and he and I took turns holding Dante and Leif. Amelia was in charge of distracting Dante for the interns so he would look in the right direction.

Dante is nearsighted, and has astigmatism. When I asked Dr. Kran where he recommends we go for an optician he suggested Waltham Children's Hospital, while acknowledging it is only 15 minutes from the clinic but over an hour from our house. Well, in the Lord's impeccable timing it turns out Dante has an Augmentive Communications appt at that very place coming up on November 5th.

So the kids and I hopped in the van and drove over to order Dante some spectacles. This time he made it abundantly clear that he had no desire to try on frames. The optician and I were able to overrule his protests, and we will pick up his glasses (hopefully!) on November 5th.

Thankfully, all was forgiven when Amelia fed Dante a Happy Meal while I drove home! Maybe his 5th birthday is turning out pretty good after all....chicken nuggets, french fries, no school and therapies, plus a nice long nap when we arrived home.

No comments: