Friday, February 6, 2009

What Do We DO?

Amelia and Micah have started their Spring semester of Speech Therapy. They go to Worcester State College, where they each receive two one-hour sessions a week from one of the students.

The first sessions were Tuesday, and I had to go in and speak with each of their therapists. The inevitable question looms: "I want to be able to add to what you do at home with Amelia (Micah), so can you tell me what a typical day is like for her (him)?" Do I answer what we do in theory each day, or what we actually accomplish each day? Since it is being taped and I want to look good, I tell them mostly what my schedule says I do, with a little bit of reality thrown in.

I have a great schedule for them! Dante's is even broken up into 15 minute increments. He really needs someone with him or after a while he will start to just sit and zone. So the big kids and I trade off 15 minutes with him (I take two shifts to their one). Dante loves the attention. He bounces on his big ball, gets walked around the house, sung to, played with, uses crayons, climbs all over Alexander. It works well for him to have the set schedule.

In the half hour times between my "Dante time" I work with Micah and Amelia. And check my email, switch the laundry, put dinner in the crockpot...

Ame and Micah have not been wanting to do handwriting worksheets lately, so we have switched to using the easel. Sometimes I write phrases for them to read-- "I see Zachary."-- and they try to write it themselves. Today they used watercolor paints and q-tips to practice their "x"s.



When Amelia got wet from the paint water, she went up to change. Nikita decided to play dress up with Amelia. It was fun for both of them, now I just have to come up with a description that makes it sound educational for the lesson plan books! (Amelia put the accessories on Nikita, but Nik took them off before I arrived with the camera.)




No comments: