Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dante and Leif

Dante does not initiate interaction too often, which we attribute to his autism.  Leif often tries though, although usually in the annoying little brother way, not in a "hey let's have some fun together" way.

Last night Leif was being his high energy mischievous self, jumping from the back of the couch onto the cushions.  (I know this is probably not something we should allow, but he was having so much fun.)  Dante started giggling and watching him.  Then Dante went over to the couch and climbed onto the cushion.  Finally, Dante climbed up onto the back of the couch with Leif and was laughing and watching Leif jump.  It was pretty sweet, especially when Dante slid down onto the couch cushions once or twice, I think trying to mimic Leif's actions. 



It is actually a little bittersweet, considering that Dante is 6 and it is he that is learning from his 2 year old brother, when typically it is the other way around.  Leif has definitely surpassed Dante in every way developmentally.  I have been reading a lot about neurodevelopmental therapies, and doing a lot of work with Dante.  It would cost $2000 a year to have him professionally evaluated and given specific exercises, but I am doing what I can with what I have read.  I would like to think his attempts to interact with Leif last night show that we are getting somewhere.  I have also taken Dante off all processed foods, with nothing artificial or chemical as best as we can.  He certainly hasn't complained about all the fresh fruits he has been eating!

In the meantime, I am loving the moments where he definitely seems to be initiating more interactions than is typical for him.

God is good!



1 comment:

Justine said...

What a triumph! So excited for Dante and for you!